Around the world the need for good legal secretaries continues to increase and their numbers decrease, leading to each one becoming more valuable in the employment market.
Cayman is no different and our clients are consistently requiring legal secretaries in our job market.
Legal secretaries are proficient at handling all administrative duties within a law office or legal department and belong to some of the most employable groups in the world. This is because the skills necessary to be a good legal secretary can carry over towards many other positions and professions.
What would you be responsible for…
- Contribute to and support all aspects of the practice of the fee earner
- Liaise with local and international clients and other parties
- Prepare court bundles
- Taking minutes for court proceedings and other recorded meetings
- Transcribe correspondence, documents and other legal documents
- Maintain calendars, coordinate appointments, meetings and conferences
- Assist in the collection of due diligence documents
- Conducting research in legal matters
- Developing and maintaining a comprehensive and organized billing system
- Ensuring all billable hours are accurately recorded.
What the standard requirements are…
- Previous legal experience
- Excellent proficiency in MS Works
- High degree in accuracy and keyboarding speed of at least 70wpm
- Prioritisation and organisational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Knowledge of legal terminology and practices.
Essential skills needed…
- Expert at time management
- Juggling activities and roles
- Ability to deal with many personalities
- Excellent judgment to make dozens of critical decisions
- Ability to work under strict confidentiality requirements.
Common areas of legal practice in Cayman…
- Corporate & Commercial
- Investment Funds
- Banking & Finance
- Private Equity
- Hedge Funds
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Family Law.
What if I am just starting…
It is difficult to enter the industry with no experience, however, if you have strong secretarial, PA/EA experience or are a senior administrative assistant then there may be opportunities available. If you don’t have this experience then these can act as a route in for you.